Thursday, April 30, 2009

NEWS FLASH!!!

I'm accumulating links for a somewhat interesting post... but this deserves its own...

Justice Souter to retire!!!

I HATE to lose Souter... but I'm very happy for him. I'd always heard he was the only SC Justice to "brown bag" it for lunch. More power to him. He was (well still is) the 'PD' of the SCOTUS. Let the man cash in while he still has some livin' to do! And, yes, I'm glad he timed it so Obama picks his replacement, with strong legislative support. Kennedy has clearly emerged as the swing vote after SDO's retirement, so I'd like to see a liberal-leaning justice to replace him.

I will be fair to former President Bush, neither Alito nor Roberts have truly replaced William Rehnquist. Rehnquist was a pro-wealthy, racist, anti-civil-rights douchebag. Alan Derschowitz's "obituary" of Rehnquist nails my feelings on this demagogue/fascist that ruled our highest court. Any 2L can tell you the outcome of a case that begins: Cheif Justice Rehnquist delivered the opinion of the Court. Petitioner, a black woman,...

Scalia does usually rule independantly on Search and Seizure (I predict he will right the majority opinion in the school strip-search case recently argued... AND I predict he and Ginsburg will be on the same side of the decision),... I respect him for that. But I have read a few of his opinions that make a mockery of "original intent" in order to forward some FOX News talking point.

Whilst, Alito and Roberts are not Rehnquist, they are also not Sandra Day!!!

I don't expect them to be swing votes... to labor over arguments despite the political overtones of the outcome. So I think Souter, Ginsburg, Stevens and Breyer should be replaced with "moonbat" Liberals. Kennedy should ABSOLUTELY be replaced by a moderate, a true, middle of the road swing vote intellectual.

My $0.02 on the replacement process.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post with us. I enjoy the informative posts from your blog. Have a great rest of your day and keep up the informative posts.
    Lawyer Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete